Re: Token Ring for Debian??

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Farzad FARID wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Leszek Gerwatowski wrote:
> [...]
> > One thing is important - you should check if your TR type is supported by
> > Linux at all becouse Token Ring support is not for all TR cards but for
> > the most tipical ones. This works with Slackware. I odn't see any reason,
> > for which this cannot work with Debian! (But anyway it is crazy but
> > possible!)
> >

>  The current TR driver only works with the Tropic chipset found in the
> IBM TR adapters. Others like Olitech and Madge won't work.
>
> --
> Farzad FARID
> Administrateur Reseau
> SGIP - Publicis

This is fragment of TR HOWTO:

       Make sure that you have a Token Ring card that is supported by this
       driver.  Currently the only cards that are supported are those that
       use the Tropic chipset.
       Cards that I personally know to work are:

              IBM Token Ring 16/4 adapter /A
              IBM Token Ring adapter /A
              IBM Token Ring adapter II (4 Megabit only)
              IBM 16/4 ISA Token Ring card (16bit)
              IBM 16/4 ISA Token Ring card (8bit)
              3Com TokenLink Adapter (IBM and 3Com mode)
              HyperRing Classic 16/4

        Please note that IBM makes a DMA/busmaster adapter for ISA with
        the name:

              Token-Ring Network 16/4 Adapter II

        which will *NOT* work.  Do not confuse this card with the IBM
        Token Ring adapter II (4mbit) which does.

Leszek Gerwatowski

* lg@peryt.waw.pl         | bigl@alpha.im.pw.edu.pl           *
* PERYT                   | Warsaw University of Technology   *
* IBM Business Partner    | Institute of Mathematics          *
* Stepinska 5             | Pl. Politechniki 1                *
* 00-739 Warsaw           | 00-661 Warsaw                     *
* Poland                  | Poland                            *