Phillips CM206 CD-ROM not recognized during install.

   I have seen debian being installed, and I must say I like what I see. I
used to use Slakware on my machine. The problem I have is this:
   I have a Phillips CM206 Drive, at IO Base 0x300 and IRQ 10. According to
the manual, this drive is supported by debian. When I saw the aforementioned
install, I asked for a loan of the CD so I could give it a try at home. I
made the floppies, but the kernel won't see the drive as a Phillips on
bootup. I see mcd: 0x300, 10 (or something similar) pop up instead. So I
even tried to use mcd for the install (which of course failed). Any help
would be greatly appreciated.
   Oh yeah, I am also unable to reach http://www.debian.org for help either.
I have no idea why.
   Thanx.
Greg Starkes, Computing & Communications, Memorial University of
Newfoundland.
e-mail: gstarkes@morgan.ucs.mun.ca        www: http://www.cs.mun.ca/~gstarkes/