Re: pppd

    Alvar> The correct ppp package to use for Debian 0.93R6 is

    Alvar> /debian/debian-0.93/binary/net/ppp-2.2-1.deb

    Alvar> It has been tested and works fine. (This package is based on
    Alvar> ppp-2.2.0b)

    Billy> Actually, I have exactly the same problem the original poster
    Billy> described with the distribution kernel 1.2.13 and ppp-2.2-1.deb.  I
    Billy> still haven't got the solution.  It seems that the distribution kernel
    Billy> was compiled with a very old ppp package and hasn't updated when
    Billy> ppp-2.2 was made available.  I also tried to compile a new 1.2.13
    Billy> kernel with ppp support after installing ppp-2.2-1.deb but was
    Billy> unsucessful with errors in the compilation process (something like
    Billy> `incompatible pointer type' in ppp.c).

What revision of the package containing the 1.2.13 kernel
(source/image) are you using?

To rebuild the kernel/ppp from source you must:

1. Unpack the kernel source package
2. Unpack the ppp source package
3. Patch the kernel as described (using kinstall.sh)
4. Build the kernel, building ppp as a module rather than linking it
   directly in the kernel.
5. Add a ppp line into /etc/modules to get the module loaded at boot
   time.

    Billy> AFAIK ppp-2.2 is for kernels 1.3.x.  Where do I get a older debian ppp
    Billy> package that is supposed to work with kernel 1.2.x??

No, I have used 2.2 on both 1.2.13 and 1.3.x kernels

Is anyone else having problems? Can someone confirm that the "stable"
package works for them. I know it worked for me several months ago
when I released it. :)

alvar

--
Alvar Bray

Meiko Limited        Phone:    +44 1454 616171
650 Aztec West       Fax:      +44 1454 618188
Bristol BS12 4SD     E-Mail:   alvar@meiko.co.uk
England              WWW: