Re: mach32 bpp 16

Hi Junebug,

I've got some info and a question for you.

Junebug <jy11@prism.gatech.edu> wrote:

> i just upgraded my debian 0.93R6 to 1.1. took me a while, but i more or less
> figured out everything and have it working now. however, i do have one question
> about the mach32 server.  i used to be able to specify -bpp 16 in my .xserverrc
> file and run x in 16 bit mode. however, after upgraading to 1.1 with the
> xserver-mach32, i can't do it any more. it says
> /usr/bin/X11/XF86_Mach32 -bpp 16 failed.

I am using the following package for my Xserver. What version are you using?
It is able to get into 16 bit mode when I specify that parameter in the proper xdm
configuration file. I haven't tried the method you describe. BTW, I am using very
little ELF. I installed just enough to get a couple of ELF packages working, so
perhaps you have some sort of conflict.

ii  xserver-mach     3.1.2 3    XFree86 3.1.2 Mach32 server

Here's my question: I cannot get 16 bpp mode to work satisfactorily in 1024x768. I
get all kinds of horizontal flicker when I move a window around and when stuff is
being drawn. I have a nice Nokia monitor that handles very high frequencies, and I
have tested all modes in DOS/Windows. Could you send your XF86Config to me?

--
Jeff Ebert
jebert@earthlink.net