Re: X server security problem

On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Martin Str|mberg wrote:

> Hmm. I did "chmod u-s /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3", then when I tried to run
> "startx" (as myself, not root) it said the server had to be suid root.

You could try using xdm; it starts the server itself as root.

> Does anybody have an idea when the server packages will be updated?

The versions in the development (now called 'unstable') tree were updated
last week. I don't intend to update the stable versions unless the XFree86
people release fixed binaries; I'm not set up for compiling a.out versions
of the server.

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk