Re: Set up PPP for two ISPs

gli <gli@interlog.com> writes:

> I am using Debian 1.2.  I set up my box to connect to an ISP using PPP, I
> invoke the connection by the script pon, it all work out fine.  Now I want
> to join another ISP.  How do I set up my box, to connect to two ISP, one
> at a time?  Please help.

What I did was use this script as /usr/local/bin/pon

#!/bin/sh

if [ $# = 0 ] ; then
  CHAT=/etc/ppp.chatscript
elif [ $# = 1 ] ; then
  CHAT=/etc/ppp.chat.$1
else
  echo usage: pon [destination]
  exit 1
fi

if [ ! -r $CHAT ] ; then
  echo pon: can not read $CHAT
  exit 1
fi

if [ -r /etc/ppp.options_out ]; then
        /usr/sbin/pppd connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f $CHAT" `cat /etc/ppp.options_out`
else
        echo "You do not have permissions to access /etc/ppp.options_out"
fi

exit 0

where /usr/local/bin/ comes before /usr/bin/ in my path.   I then
made an /etc/ppp.chatscript file for every ISP I wish to connect to:

compute root: ls -lta /etc/ppp.chat*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           18 Dec 31 10:20 /etc/ppp.chatscript -> ppp.chat.softsound
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          169 Dec 26 22:11 /etc/ppp.chat.softsound
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          167 Dec  4 07:44 /etc/ppp.chat.demon
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          169 Nov 27 18:19 /etc/ppp.chat.magpie

[ N.B. I abbreviated chatscript to chat for readability ].

/etc/ppp.chatscript is a symbolic link to the default, and if you supply
an argument to pon it uses that script instead.  This works because non
of the files in /etc/ppp/ are ISP specific.   It works fine for me.

I'm told (by the maintainers) that the next version of ppp will have
it's own solution.

Tony Robinson

--
http://www.SoftSound.demon.co.uk/