Re: 2nd debian 1.2 upgrade problem: console hung

In article <[🔎] m0veneb-00000rC@fea.rrd.ornl.gov>,
James D. Freels <fea@fea.rrd.ornl.gov> wrote:
>In upgrading machine #2 (see earlier post on problems with machine #1)
>from debian 1.1 to 1.2, and rebooting.  I got an error on reboot
>something about "unable to initialize console" and the machine hung.
>I thought it may have been a problem with my upgrade.
>
>Later I decided to wipe out the drive, repartition, and install a
>fresh minimum Debian 1.2 system.  Now I can reboot the system fine
>from the hard drive (via loadlin on the DOS side), but when I reboot
>from a "rescue" disk (bootbable kernel disk), the system hangs as
>before failing to find the console.
>
>I don't have a clue how to fix this problem.

You are probably booting the kernel with the wrong root file system.
Normally the kernel would complain (cannot mount root file system)
but probably there is another Linux file system (say /usr) on the
partition the kernel tries to use as the root file system.

So it will boot the kernel and then before starting /sbin/init the
kernel will try to open /dev/tty0 as the console.. which fails.
And then the kernel will print the message

	"Unable to open an initial console."

Mike.
--
|  Miquel van Smoorenburg    | "Sticky tape is like the Force - it has a   |
| miquels@drinkel.cistron.nl |  dark side, it has a light side, and it     |