Re: 2 things

Daniel,

On Dec 30,  8:34pm, Daniel Stringfield wrote:
> Subject: 2 things
>
> I'm fighting a few problems tonight with my boxes:
>
> 1. Network - I can only talk on my network from my machine named
"dst", IF
> I am connected to the Internet... which makes no sense, since this
network
> is LOCAL... (dst is 192.168.1.1) and the machine I am trying to talk
to is
> 192.168.1.2 (named "spacewalker")
> On "dst" I am running diald.  Since I am connected to the internet so
> much, I didn't notice this before. :)

This sounds like a problem with default routes.
What does the routing table look like (using netstat -nr)?  Check what
it shows bothwhen you are connected and when you are disconnected.

I would expect to see output similar to:
Kernel routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Iface
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    sl0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     lo
0.0.0.0         xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 0.0.0.0         UG    sl0

Note that I have deleted the Metric, Use and Ref columns from the above
output. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address assigned to you by your ISP.
 This sample was taken from a machine which has been a gateway, with
diald running but the connection to our ISP down. Diald will run pppd
to set up the link to our ISP, and the sl0 is replaced by ppp0.

The second entry is the LAN, and should not be altered by ppp or diald.
 If it isn't there, then you need to look at how the ethernet interface
is configured on boot.

 If this doesn't help, email me the output of the netstat -nr and
ifconfig -a commands, and I will try to assist.

I see that you have solved #2, judging by your later posting.

Tim

> 2. Machine spacewalker doesn't like to boot!  I made myself a custom
> kernel, and it doesn't want to boot.  I get up to the point of
mounting
> the root partition, and kernel panics.  I'm booting my kernel off of
> /dev/hda1 which is /boot, and root is /dev/hda2 (swap is hda3)
>
> I have a Western Digital 2.5Gb HD. (Not in LBA mode)
>
> the default installation kernel works ok though..
>

> --
>                               Daniel Stringfield
>          mailto:servo@southeast.net http://users.southeast.net/~servo
>     Send email for more information on the Jacksonville Linux Users
Group!

--
Tim Frost, Systems Engineer (Unix)  Email: Tim.Frost@nz.eds.com
EDS (NZ) Ltd,                       Voice: +64 4 495-0504