Re: Set up PPP for two ISPs

My kludgy, but servicable and robust approach to this is to keep two
sets of files.  Mine are named *.isp1 and *.isp2.  I then have two
connect pre-scripts that simple copy all the correct files and then
call the ppp-on script or whatever you use to start up ppp.  The
files of interest are:
  /etc/resolv.conf
  /etc/ppp/options  (and any files referenced here, like chatscripts)
  /etc/ip-up        (if you use them)
  /etc/ip-down
  Basically any file that you have to alter for the second ISP.

As an example here is my ppp.aracnet script that I use to connect to
aracnet.com:

 #!/bin/bash
 cp /etc/resolv.conf.aracnet /etc/resolv.conf
 cp /etc/ppp/options.aracnet /etc/ppp/options
 /etc/ppp/ppp.up

I use an options file with chatscript built right in (Not much chatting
to do with a PAP login), and ppp.up is basically just a loop that keeps
trying to dial every 20 seconds or so until it finds the link up.  It
is sort of a poorman's redialler.

I am sure that there are many fancy ways to this sort of thing, but this
method has working steadily for me for about 3 years now.

I suppose you could play tricks with some of the other files in /etc
also.  I am not sure how some programs like their hostname changing
underneath them, so I leave HOSTNAME alone.

Good Luck.
D.L.

/  dlutz@aracnet.com            Virtual .sig file #2342371.  You are  \
\  David Lutz                   viewer number #63.  Have a nice Day!  /