99.9% load in /sbin/sylsogd - upgrade errors

I mirrored rex, and upgraded, unfortunately It is not very successful.
The install failed a couple times, till that last installation failed
with errors in the csh and tcsh packages.  It seems on conflicts with the
other, and neither will install properly, but this seems minor.

My big problem, is the system is slow.  The console seems quick.  All
programs run.  They seem very slow when they come up, but once its up the
programs are fine - emacs, pine, man.  When top is run, the load average
for /sbin/syslogd shows between 80-99.9% load, depending on what else is
running, but the total load is always 100%.  I checked the /var/log
directory, and no log files are increasing in size.  I can start ppp, but
the netstat and route programs will only display the header lines, and
then the lock up.  Occasionally the console gets a message
modprobe:  Can't locate module char-major-10
And I've seen the in.Comsat get displayed to the console once, but I don't
remember the context that it occured.

Any Ideas on how to get my system back would be appreciated.

Mark W. Blunier