xconsole problem

Hello!

I'm hoping somebody can help me with a problem I'm having with
xconsole.  I'm running a Debian 1.1 system and have recently upgraded
to XFree86 3.2, but I was having the exact same problem before as
well.

When I run 'xconsole' as a non-root user, I get the following message
(inside the xconsole window):

	Couldn't open console

/dev/console is linked to /dev/tty1, which I believe is the first
virtual terminal, and indeed, console messages appear there, instead
of in the xconsole window.

Anybody have any idea what to do with this conundrum?

Nathan L. Cutler
Linux Enthusiast
ncutler@terminal.cz