Re: It happened again.

> My computer ( this one is brand new even! ) started running away again.
> Its happened twice now, on two diff computers. This can't be a hardware
> problem.

I had this happen three or four times on my system - 0.93, and maybe 1.1,
its been long enough my memory fails me.

> This time, I wasn't logged out and not allowed back in. I was able to
> run ps -ax and found no programs running that shouldn't have been.
> I did type free and noticed that my swap space was filling up fast.
> I kill everything on my other vts and logged out of all except one.
> Then the runaway stopped. I was once again connected to my ISP at the
> time. I was running lynx and irc. The last time this happened i
> was running slrn and irc. So, its either got to be a system problem
> or someone on irc found a nice exploit to play with or the irc program
> itself has problems.

Every time It happened, I was in X, and was running netscape, or had been
running netscape.  Normally, I do not run X unless.
Once, I was able to log on a root and shut it down, but
the login process took about 10 minutes.  On another occasion the after
about 4 hours of grinding away on the hard drive, I regained control, and
I could not find anything that looked out of the ordinary in any logs, or
files, or etc.  The other couple of times, it was so bad that I tried the
c-a-d, and it didn't work.  On the bright side, it hasn't happened since
April.  (was 1.1 out in April?)

Mark W. Blunier