Help generating a boot disk for install

I'm trying to install a new disk drive and would like to take the
5 disk set I currently have that I used to initially install Debian
and replace the "boot" disk with one with a custom kernel.

I tried a make zdisk, followed by a rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/fd0.

No dice.  It booted OK, but after it prompted for the root floppy,
I got:

Kernel Panic: VFS unable to mount root on 02:00.

02 00 is /dev/fd0, I think.

Question: How do I generate my own boot disk to replace the one
in the 5 disk set (boot, root, base 1, base 2, base 3)?????

Thanks,
Jim.