General clueless upgrade question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 18:58:54 +0000 (GMT)
From: Ed Down <sb314@city.ac.uk>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: General clueless upgrade question

OK, I instaled Debian 1.1 a while ago and it all went fine. Now I want to
add a couple more packages, so I ftp'd to my local mirror. I went to the
rex directory - not the one in the Debian-1.2 directory, so I assume I'm
in the 1.1 tree - and downloaded a new Packages file and the packages I
require. I ran dselect and it seems to not let me just install the new
packages - it wants me to upgrade loads of other packages which the new
ones are not dependent on. I've tried to ask deselect to just leave the
old packages alone, but then it insists on wanting to delete all the
packages dependent upon these. For instance, I try to leave libc5 as the
old version, so it insists on wanting to delete cron!

As my system works fine at the moment I do not want to risk instaling
anything with dselect as it is - any tips? Also, as I have to transfer all
my packages by disk from college to home I don't want to have to upgrade
all of the packages if I can help it, just add the new ones (and any
dependencies).

On a different track, I want to upgrade to 1.2 at some point. Is there a
doc on this? If I use the new installation disks does it give me the
option just to upgrade, without the disk format, or can I just upgrade the
kernel and all the other packages I use to the latest vewrsions and that
will be the same as a 1.2 system installed from scratch?

Thanks,

	Ed