Re: Problems with Sendmail and X..

>> - install gpm.
>>   - Make sure that In your '/etc/gpm.conf'
>>     device=/dev/xxx  (xxx is the device name of your mouse I believe psmouse)
>>     responsiveness=
>>     type=ps2
>>     append='-R'
>> - check out that gpm is running and you can see the mouse cursor on your Linux
>>   console (if not you have to work on your gpm config). you may start gpm by
>>   typing as root '/etc/init.d/gpm start'
>> - make sure that '/dev/mouse' is a symbol link to '/dev/gpmdata'
>> - change the Protocol and the Device type of your Pointer.
>>   the Section "Pointer" in '/etc/X11/XF86Config' should contains
>>	Protocol "MouseSystems"
>> 	Device "/dev/mouse"
>
>I tried this but alas it didn't work..  there was no gpm.conf file located
>on my system and no gpmdata...Hmm ..

I wonder why you don't have '/etc/gpm.conf' (some one else told me the same
to) even though I have it on my Debian box :(

I'm using gpm-1.10-2 right know, but the package was installed from long
time, maybe the config. file's name has changed since. One way to know what
config. file is used on yours, is to look into '/etc/init.d/gpm', the shell
var 'cfg' in the first few lines contains the name of the config. file :

------------------------------
# less /etc/init.d/gpm
#!/bin/sh
#
# Start Mouse event server

test -x /usr/sbin/gpm || exit 0

cfg=/etc/gpm.conf
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cmdln=
if [ -f $cfg ]; then
  . $cfg
    if [ -n "$device" ]; then cmdln="$cmdln -m $device"; fi
      if [ -n "$type" ]; then cmdln="$cmdln -t $type"; fi
        if [ -n "$responsiveness" ]; then cmdln="$cmdln -r $responsiveness";
fi
  if [ -n "$append" ]; then cmdln="$cmdln $append"; fi
  fi

  case "$1" in
    start)
         echo "Starting gpm $cmdln"
	      /usr/sbin/gpm $cmdln

If for some reason you dont find 'cfg', go and edit '/usr/sbin/gpm $cmdln'
line above, and put instead :

/usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/psmouse -t ps2 -R

if '/dev/psmouse' is not the name of PS2 mices please change it to whatever
it might be (sorry I don't have such mouse)

for '/dev/gpmdata', it will be created once gpm will started with -R option.

hope things will go more smooth for you by know :-)