Re:Continued Debian Boot Problems

At 23:37 -0600 on 12/20/96, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I don't think this is a boot floppy problem.
> Under Debian 1.2, the "wd" driver is in a module. You should be able
> to remove or reconfigure that "wd" module by booting your system with
> the rescue floppy, mounting your hard disk, and editing /etc/modules
> or /etc/conf.modules on the mounted hard disk. You can also boot directly
> from the hard disk by adding the "emergency" command to the boot command
> line.
>
> Since it says "loading device 'eth0', I surmise that you are running kerneld
> and you have /etc/conf.modules aliasing "eth0" to "wd". If that's not the
> case I don't understand how you'd get that driver, unless you built your own
> kernel.
>
> 	Thanks
>
> 	Bruce

Bruce,

I didn't explain the situation very well and I asked the wrong question.
Let me try again.

I couldn't get the Debian 1.2 disks dated 96-12-8 to boot because the
system would hang.  Your suggestion to add the boot command "linux
cm206=0x350" solved the problem.

Because I was having troubles and my request for help had not had enough
time to generate an answer, I built a 1.2 system using a set of 1.1 boot
disks.  Everything went very well until I tried to boot the new system.

First I had to specify the boot command "linux cm206=0x350" or else the
system would hang just like the 96-12-8 boot disks.  Once I got past that
point, the system now hangs with these messages:

> wd.c:v1.10 9/23/94 ..........
> eth0: WD80x3 at 0x300 00 00 C0 A6 D2 24 WD8003, IRQ5, shared memory at 0xb800
> 0-0xb9fff

It should be noted that this hardware configuration was working with a 1.1
system before I started over with 1.2.

Hopefully, this explaination should clarify the situation.  So, the
questions are:

	1.  Why does the ethernet driver WD hang at boot under 1.2 when it was
	    working under 1.1?

	2.  Is there some interaction between the boot command "linux
	    cm206=0x350" and the hanging of the ethernet driver?

	3.  How do I fix it?

TIA,

Butch

Butch Kemper                         | Free sound advice available
Brazos Internet Consulting Group     | "95% sound and 5% advice"
409-696-6057                         | Refunds cheerfully provided