IP Routing Problems....

I'm having some problems getting my network connected to the Internet and I'm hoping you can help....  I'm pretty good at TCP/IP, but something with the routing has got me "stumped".

PLEASE HELP!  <grin>

I've got two Linux boxes connected via a serial cable (about 50').  The first box (Box_A) is connected to my ISP via an ethernet connection.  The second box (Box_B) doubles as a router to my network.

So, I've got:

ISP <---1---> Box_A <---2---> Box_B <---3---> rest of my network

where:

1. Is Ethernet
2. Is Serial
3. Is Ethernet

Without boring you with too many details (but let me know if you need them), here's my situation:

1.  From the Internet, I can ping the ethernet interface on Box_A, but not the serial interface.
2.  From Box_A, Box_B, or anywhere else on my network, I can ping everything else up to, but not including, the ethernet interface at the ISP.
3.  From Box_A, I can ping the ISP and anywhere else on the Internet.

I've got "routed" running on both Linux boxes and routes are being propogated down the line.  Running "route" to view the routing table on all of my systems running "routed" shows a very full routing table.  So, things are coming down the "pipe".

My guess-timate of what my problem is, is that routing information to the #2 and #3 network segments is not being sent up the "pipe" to the ISP.  The router at the ISP is not "learning" the routes to my network segments - it only knows the route to the physically attached segment.

The router at the ISP is pretty non-configurable.  It only supports dynamic routing, so the only thing that can be configured on it is the IP address of the port I'm connecting to.  All routing information is supposed to be "learned" via RIP.  But, it's not learning....

If this is my problem, do you have any ideas why?

TIA for your help,

Kevin Traas
System Administrator
ValleyNet