Re: List of installation problems for 1.2

Nicely summarized list, Dale. But, I've a few notes to add:

Dale Scheetz said:
> 1. Already reported as a bug:  Can't find xlib6 so file.
> 	Add /usr/X11R6/lib to ld.so.conf and run ldconfig.

I did not have this problem. My /etc/ld.so.conf still contains /usr/X11R6/lib
after my upgrade.

> 4. New sendmail fails to use old .cf file
> 	One report indicates re-installation fixes the problem.

I could not get sendmail to use my old .cf file, nor a new one I generated.
Re-installing sendmail did not help. It always complains about the line:

Kdequote dequote

saying "file does not exist". My only solution was to down-grade to 8.7.6-1

> 5. Cron dies. (actually never starts)
> 	Run "update-rc.d cron defaults"

cron died for me, but the symlinks remained. All I had to do was

/etc/init.d/cron start

I did not have to use 'update-rc.d'

> 11. xbase can't remove xdm and xfs
> 	Remove by hand using dpkg --purge.

Again, I did not experience this problem during the upgrade.

> 17. Adduser depends on perl-suid, not in base.
> 	Install by hand using --force-depends

On a philosophical note, I don't believe that a required base package should
depend on a program which is an inherent security risk (perl-suid).

As a final note, 'elm' is still broken when reading mail from a nfs-mounted
spool dir. It fails to restore the correct permissions (should be 660, ends up
being 600). This makes it impossible for the remote sendmail to deliver the
mail (not sure exactly why -- the sendmail on the remote in this case is AIX's
sendmail). I had to restore my hacked version of elm (which is "fixed" for my
situation only).

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 3 days. If you don't   ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail. ]
[ Unsolicited commercial and junk e-mail will be proof-read for US$100 ]

"Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn't have to
   experience it."
   - Max Frisch