Re: Q: re: dpkg-ftp

Anthony Thompson wrote:

> Im a recent convert from slackware to Debian1.2 (well in the process of
> install it).

I too am a slackware veteran. I just installed debian one one of my
machines yesterday. This is my first mail via netscape mail.

> Away im having a problem getting the ppp link up and running. Im able to
> establish the ppp connection ok. I check it using the ifconfig command
> and i see that i have a ppp connection to my ISP.

Does ping work. ping your defaultroute IP address.

> The problem is that if attempt to run ftp (standalone) to test the link i
> receive 'host lookup failure'.
>
> Now i have had no problems previously with slackware getting ppp
> connection setup.. What have i done wrong?
>
> Ive checked my resolv.conf and it is the same as my old slackware config..

I to had FTP problems when I installed yesterday. My resolve conf had

nameserver ww.xx.yy.zz, ww.xx.yy.zz

I changed it to two lines

nameserver ww.xx.yy.zz
nameserver ww.xx.yy.zz

And it worked fine.

Don't know if this will help but good luck.

Perry