Re: Console blanks trying to install 1.2 from floppies...

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> John C. Ruttenberg wrote:
> >
> > ... on a Micron Mellenia Transport notebook.
> >
> > It gets as far as probing for a Sanyo CDROM and starting to initialize it and
> > then the screen goes blank and seems to relight it.
> >
> > Has anyone seen a similar problem?
> >
> > --
>
> I had a similar problem on a Panasonic laptop. I never did resolve it
> but I think the problem was that I didn't have enough memory. There's
> a FAQ or HOWTO around which is supposed to help with laptops.
>
> Jens B. Jorgensen
> jjorgens@bdsinc.com

I also had a similar problem on an old Ultra 386/SX laptop.  I was finally
able to install by using my main machine to compile a very generic kernel.
I'm not sure what I took out that solved the problem though.  If you have
the means then:
1. create the new kernel, zImage, with as few options as possible
   (RAMDISK support is required!!)
2. mount your rescue floppy with the kernel image on it, usually named
   linux
3. cp {source_root}/arch/i386/zImage /mnt/linux, or wherever you mounted
   the floppy.

Hope this helps.

A. Paul