libg++ for 1.1

I am trying to build octave 2.0 on my 1.1 system. I did not have the c++
libs (libg++), but if I get the new libg++, that depends on libc5.4, but I
have libc5.2. (I am assuming that my lack of the c++ libs is what is causing
the octave configure script to think my C++ compiler does not work (the c++
calls fails due to no -lstdc++ lib)).

What is the best course of action? Will a new libc cause problems? Can I
force the libg++ install. Is there an octave 2.0 binary in the works?

Thanks

        hunter