Re: Sound module

At 00:59 1996-12-19 +0100, you wrote:

>Hej all,
>
>  I recently put up Debian on my machine, and think that it's a good
system.

>  There is one thing, that I would like to mention, on the new stable
kernel release 2.0.27.  I was using the debian 2.0.6 before, and after
upgrading the sound module disappeared.

>  Some other modules, the CD-ROM modules seem to have been put into the
kernel, these are the modules mcd, mcdx, and others the like.  When
installing the 2.0.6, I tried to activate these modules for my CD-ROM (a
NEC 4x CD-ROM), that was connected to an ATAPI interface (non PnP).  Non of
them worked, so they weren't installed.  But with the new kernel, all of
these try to probe for a CD-ROM, each in turn after the other... non of
them finding my CD, even if it is connected to an active ATAPI interface.
The older module 'cdrom', did find my CD and activated it, but now... the
new release is blind as a bat.  Failing all else, my CD-ROM works as
/dev/hdc :-)

As i see it the ATAPI module is now included in the kernel and it dosn't
tell that it has found the cd-rom(not for me it dosn't). And the sound
module does not exist for me either, but it's only to recompile the
kernel(it is very simple actualy) and it should then work.
>  But I miss the sound module... is there a sound module for the 2.0.27
kernel?
i  miss it to but in order to get those "dam" cdrom-drivers not to search
in the startup sequence you must recompile the kernel? or have i missed
something.

  E-Mail:Lars.Flodman@midnet.telia.com
  Url:http://www.ntostud.mh.se/

  Phone:+46 (0)63128373, +46 (0)106556258