Re: Problems with XF86

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Prashanth Mundkur wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Dave Power wrote:
>

> > I've been working to get XF86 running on a Dell Optiplex 5133 without
> > much luck.  Nothing seems to allow me to access the mouse.  So far it's
> > not been possible to get either gpm or XF86 to see it.  We have tried
> > many combinations and all except /dev/ttyS0 have given an error that
> > the mouse device does not exist.  It will not recognize /dev/psaux.
> >
> > Now for the interesting part.  We loaded up CND 1.0 and it works fine
> > as /dev/psaux...
> >
> > Any / all suggestions are welcome.
>

> I had that problem with Debian 1.1, where the solution was to recompile
> the kernel enabling the psaux driver.  I did not have the same problem
> with 1.2 tho.
>
> --prashanth

hi there. i had a bitch of a time trying to get X to see the mouse. i/m
using a Dell aswell with a logitech ps/2 mouse. just the other day i
installed the gpm package and reinstalled X. well hay!! it now sees the
mouse.

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "PS/2"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"

this now what i use in the XF86Config file. and i never had to recompile
the kernel.
hope this helps
-Rob