Turning off screen blanking?

Hi all,

  I know this has gotta be a real simple basic question, but I've
been through all the man pages and how-tos I can find, with no
answer.

  After Linux recieves no input for a while, the screen blanks.
While this behavior is fine in character mode, it hoses my X server.
The screen gets all wavy and colors are wrong, like I've running it
in the wrong mode.  A kill -HUP pid-of-X resets things just fine.

  So, how do I turn off this pesky screen blanking function?  And
any insight into why it goofs so badly with the display would be
appreciated (just curious, you know).  I'm running 2.0.6, BTW.

TIA,
-jj