Re: loadlin bootable CD

On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Tim Sailer wrote:

> OK, in theory, one should be able to make a CD bootable with LILO.
> I can't figure out how. If someone has an idea how to do this,
> I'll try to burn some CDs and try it out.

I am aware of how to do this with loadlin and initrd, however, the only
reason for using initrd is to configure mount points on the CD to r/w disk
for the portions of the system that needs to be changed from time to time.
I don't think that initrd can be run from lilo (but I could be mistaken),
but if you are willing to configure the system (fstab for instance)
completely before comitting it to CD you should be able to boot the CD
from a small partition with lilo and a kernel that has built in drivers
for the cd drive. However, this is a lot of work to get a system that
will, by virtue of CD access speeds be brutally slow.
The main reason for my interst in this path is that it provides a path for
bringing up a system (larger than base) without boot, root, and base
disketts, from which a "real" system can be installed with all the
networking tools needed to perform this installation in whatever method
the installer desires.
I have been hearing on Linux-Kernel that there is work being done to patch
the kernel so that it will boot with a loop device, thus allowing an ext2
file system to be built as a file image that can be copied to any
partition (either dos or linux) and be booted using the loop device to
mount root. This would be a read/write filesystem without the limitations
on umsdos file systems. This configuration can be booted from either lilo
or loadlin.

Luck,

Dwarf