mgetty & minicom port locking conflict

How do I get mgetty and minicom to share a port? I want mgetty
to sit around normally to receive calls and faxes, but I want
to dialout on this line too. Running minicom tells me
that the port (/dev/cuax) is busy, either as root or not.
ppp seems to have no problem getting past mgetty.

As I understand it, cuax are the dialout devices, so
telling minicom to use /dev/cuax should be correct.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Hamish