Re: how to get a bash shell with the new install floppies (Re: new boot floppies being uploaded)

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Daniel Stringfield wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> > > MBR doesn't work for me. No matter what I do, I can not get a machine
> > > to boot linux from the hard disk if MBR is in the master boot record.
> >
> > Can you figure out why?
>
> What BIOS do you have?  (Brand and bios date) I think this may end up
> being the cause of this problem... but if its not, don't hold me to it. :)

i've had the dubious pleasure of running into the same problem on
a variety of machines (mainly because the hardware supplier seems
completely unable to provide the same motherboards in each new batch of
machines).  486 motherboards are starting to be hard to get...a shame,
486s or amd 586s are perfectly suited to what i'm builing these boxes
for (dialin servers for staff & students at various schools)...Pentium
would be overkill and significantly more expensive.

There have been a few pentium boxes.  award bios.

The 6 most recent boxes (5 built and installed on site since monday - a
busy week!) have all been AMD 586-133 machines.  Some with Award bios,
some with Phoenix bios, and some with the bletcherous AMI graphical
bios.  All motherboards have been PCI.  Some Plug'n'Pray.

MBR hasn't worked on *any* of them.

In other words there is such a complete failure to work on any of the
machine I've tried it on that I must admit to being a little surprised that
MBR works for anyone.  But, nobody else seems to be reporting any problems
with it so it must be something i'm doing.

I remember that MBR used to work on the first debian 0.97 or was it 1.1
machines that I built.  I suspect it may be the Maximise partition option
in cfdisk.  Partly because it's the only thing i can think of which might
be doing weird things to the partition table and partly because i
remember that i used to use normal fdisk which didn't have that
option.  I'll try it without this in a few days.

Craig