installation and packages...

i recently made the rather unpleasant mistake of fsck'ing my mounted root
filesystem.  oops.  as a result of this, i decided to just reinstall from
scratch and use my backed up home directories.  here's some observations and
bugs that i've noticed (i don't know how to use the bug reporting system, if
someone would like to enlighten me or do the work for me, that'd be great).

i used the disks from frozen, and they worked fine for me.  they take
_forever_ to load the kernel image.  is there somewhere obvious to put a
message about the possiblities of compiling a kernel for each system?
although not relevent for all users, it'd be nice to tell people that they can
do that.

i downloaded packages from bo.  i suspect that many of these problems might
apply to rex as well, but i haven't checked.

xpm-dev and xpm seem to share a few files -- they were overwritten because of
the force option that dselect enables automatically.  because they have the
same version number, i assume this doesn't even make a difference, but it does
give a warning.

minor gripe:
when installing fvwm2, it spews out a long message about converting .fvwmrc
files in home directories to .fvwm2rc files (i think it only does this the
first time it's installed).  it then spits out a message about how no .fvwmrc
files were found.  not surprising, as i've never used the original fvwm.  i
suspect this may be the case for many other users.  it seems like it should be
a simple matter of moving some lines in the preinst script (i think it was
before installation) so that the long message is only printed out if .fvwmrc
files are found to begin with.

there are strange dependencies on xbase that aren't listed.  in particular,
for the xservers.  some others too i think, but those are the ones i remember
(sigh.  dselect needs some sort of default logging.)

xbase does not provide X11R6.  this is a problem with several packages (gimp,
among others).

it seems that ltxtool, ltxgraph, and psnfss should depend on latex.

the line "/usr/X11R6/lib" is missing from /etc/ld.so.conf .  this broke a few
packages before i figured it out (i think there were already some messages on
this, though).

major problem:
several programs require that zlib1 have a version greater than 1.03 .
However, the version in bo is 1.0.4 .  according to the debian ordering of
such things, it appears that 1.0.4<1.03 .  this is causing some problems with
downloading things.  maybe change the version numbering to 1.04 or else change
the requirements of all the other packages that depend on zlib1?  i don't know
how such things are usual resolved.

thanx to the debian team for a great system!

-david