Re: how to get a bash shell with the new install floppies (Re: new boot floppies being uploaded)

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> > MBR doesn't work for me. No matter what I do, I can not get a
> > machine to boot linux from the hard disk if MBR is in the master
> > boot record.
>
> Can you figure out why?

no, the only thing remaining for me to try is to NOT use the Maximise
option in cfdisk when creating the / partition. Do you normally use that
option?

I did try it yesterday when I built the last server but ended up figuring
out how to do the chroot & lilo thing before I rebooted, so it never got
tested. Next time I build a debian box I'll try that and let you know if
it makes any difference.

i've built all the machines i currently need for work but my father has
been hassling me to build the linux internet gateway box that i've been
promising him for months...with any luck i'll have the time to build that
on the weekend.  After working 12+ hour days all week staring at screens
it's hard to summon up much enthusiasm for doing more of the same on the
weekends :-(

> I can put the chroot-ed shell environment in the menu.

cool.

craig