GS 3.33 vs. 2.61, weak rendering, WHY?

 Now, that I am nearly finished with switching to Debian and
going to switch other 15 boxes as well there is one annoying
thing left:
   -> The preview produced by  gs 3.33  (4/10/1995) is
   -> unreadable,   compared  with   that by   gs 2.61
   -> (5/28/1993),  due to missing horizontal lines in
   -> letters as "H", "f" and so on.
 No matter what resolution, these horizontal lines tend to be
rounded off.  How could we get a more readable rendering?
Else we would have to switch down to the old version.
 Thanks, Andreas.

--
Uni Wuppertal, FB Elektrotechnik, Tel/Fax: (0202) 439 - 3009
Dr. Andreas Wehler;  wehler2@welfa4.elektro.uni-wuppertal.de