Re: news config -- suggested tools?

> "Hamish" == Hamish Moffatt <moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au> writes:
> Hamish> Which software would be best to handle this? From the name,
> Hamish> suck sounds like just the thing to get the news in, but I'd
> Hamish> guess it won't be interested in batching for UUCP, so I'd need
> Hamish> cnews or inn. I'm reasonably familar with configuring Taylor
> Hamish> UUCP.
>
> Actually, suck does indeed batch for UUCP, after checking the article
> ids and stripping duplicates.  Then you can use rnews to send the
> files to your INN.  You can rnews the suck batch files: no UUCP
> configuration is necessary unless you need to automatically transfer
> the batches between hosts.

Yes, I need to feed mail and news to another machine with uucp
over dialup. This server doesn't need to have any news capabilities
of its own (well, it will read news by NNRP on demand), but I want
it to feed news to this other machine by uucp.

Mind you, I'm having enough trouble just getting smail to
send mail to uucp sites. Perhaps another post is in order on that
one. I think I'd have more luck with sendmail and the m4 config
files than I'm having with smail so far.

So, I know suck can indeed get news and put them in uucp batches, but
how do I
(a) get these compressed and sent to the host; can suck do this for
    me, or should I rip out relevant parts of the inn sendbatch
    script, and
(b) can I get suck to produce news filenames with unique numbers
    (ie sequence numbers) as required for uucp?

thanks,
Hamish