Re: Mounting a file as a filesystem

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Simon Martin wrote:
> I installed Debian on hda as a test and promptly fell in love with it.
> Unfortunately I earn my living developing for Win 3.x/Win 95 and so cannot
> easily repartition my main disk.
>
> I heard some noise on this list about setting being able to mount a file as
> a filesystem. I would like to know how I can create say a 200MB file on hdb
> (Win 95) and mount it as a filesystem on say /usr.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to use a mounted file as a Linux file
system. Nothing compares to a real ext2 file system. ;-)

If i were you i'd rather repartition by using FIPS-1.5 which does no harm
to your existing data. You can get the most recent information and version
at it's homepage at

   "http://www.student.informatik.th-darmstadt.de/~schaefer/fips.html";.

I think Debian distributions normally provide FIPS but not the most recent
version with all (minor) bugfixes included. I regularily use FIPS for
splitting harddisk partitions (20 times so far) and never managed to get
data destroyed on any up to now. FIPS is a very secure tool and makes it
possible to undo a partiton splitting without doing harm to the data on
it. Works well with Win95 vfat file systems.
                                                Regards, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   Our AMA Homepage  in  the WWW at  http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bender/