Re: restarting X w/o reboot

Hi,

> Over the past couple of days I've been playing with my XF86Config file,
> and having to reboot each time to see the results really sucks. I'm
> positive there is a better way but a check to the xdm man page reveals
> nothing.

You can end the Server by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace. (if you ahve allowed
that in the config file) then xdm will restart a new one with new configuration.

It depends on the configuration, even xdm can restart the x-server
automatically after logout, if you put

       DisplayManager.DISPLAY.terminateServer
              This  boolean  resource  specifies  whether  the  X
              server should be terminated when a  session  termi-
              nates  (instead  of resetting it).

in xdm's resources.

Additionally you can kill the x-server from comamnd line
with "killall X". All this won't require you to reboot.

If you have the following translation in the xdm resources:

xlogin*login.translations: #override\
        Ctrl<Key>R: abort-display()\n\
        <Key>F1: set-session-argument(failsafe) finish-field()\n\
        Ctrl<Key>Return: set-session-argument(failsafe) finish-field()\n\
        <Key>Return: set-session-argument() finish-field()

you can even terminate the xdm with ^r in the login window. (if you have
started the xdm from inittab it will be restarted and startes a new server,
too).

Greetings
Bernd
--