Re: restarting X w/o reboot

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Chris R. Martin wrote:

> Over the past couple of days I've been playing with my XF86Config file,
> and having to reboot each time to see the results really sucks. I'm
> positive there is a better way but a check to the xdm man page reveals
> nothing.
>
> Can I just kill xdm and restart it w/o reboot?
>
> Is there a keystroke to restart xdm (and re-read the XF86Config file) ?

	ctrl-alt-backspace will kill the X server, xdm will then re-start
it.. or you could run '/etc/init.d/xdm stop' that would kill xdm and allow
you to start and stop the X server at will.  One bit of advice, make sure
you have annother machine you can telnet with in case you frag your
console.  If you don't have 2 machines with ethernet hook up a console the
the serial port.

			zzzzzzz,
				mike...