Configuring Network Card

I am trying to add a network card and I am having a lot of trouble.  Can
anyone out there help?

When I enter the command "ifconfig eth0 <cr>", I get:

eth0     Link encap:AMPR NET/ROM  HWaddr
            inetaddr:  Bcast:
            BROADCAST RUNNING MTU:0   Metric:1
            RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
            TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
            Interrupt:5 Base Address:0x280

The inet, broadcast and mask addresses all look fine.  I am assuming that
since the program responded that it tested the IRQ5 and base address
for the network card (Is this a safe assumption?)

When I enter "route -n <cr>", I get the following reponse

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway     Genmask     Flags     Metric    Ref    Use   Iface    U            0            0       0        lo

and that's it!  There is no entry for my network card.

So, I try to add it to the system.

When I enter the following: "ifconfig eth0", I get:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

If I then enter "route add", I get
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

What's going on?