Compiling numerical python

Hiya,

Has anyone succeeded in compiling numerical python ?

I am currently running the debian pre-1.2 distribution found
in frozen/unstable.  And installed all the python stuff except
some of the database support archives.

I have tried to follow the instructions that come with NumPy, but
somehow things never seem to come together.

I don't have the exact errors right now, but if anyone is
willing to help, I'll go through the process again and send
the errors I'm experiencing.

Are there any Debian specific Gotchas ?  Or was it plain
sailing all the way (please tell me if it was, in which case I'll
be a little more persistent - I've spent many hours so far, tho)

Thanks,
jay

ps: please CC to me, since am not on the list