Re: How can I dial out on ttyS?

> The problem is that user 'jdoe' is not who runs the pager process.  My bet
> is that it's user 'mail' that is trying to send the page, who does not
> have the proper permissions.

Well, the pager process is spawned by "filter", which was spawned from
the user's .forward. So it would be a "bad thing"(tm) for it to run as any
user *except* the user.

Besides, I even checked. I did:
(whoami; $HOME/pagemail.pl 5551212 "test message") > $HOME/out

and "out" then contains:

  jdoe
  Running pager process...
  ERROR: No permission to open /dev/ttyS1!!!
  dying....

- Joe