Re: cfengine?

This is a reply from Mark Burgess (esteemed author of cfengine) regarding
your question on cfengine...

Brian White wrote:

This message was posted to the debian-user list.  I thought you would be
interested.

-----------------

>In cfengine all machines belong to several classes, e.g

>mail_server = ( tango )
>mail_client = ( samba rumba )

>home_server = ( samba )
..

>In a cfengine-file one can use these classes to perfom any action. But
>when I want to perform the e.g. the following action

>copy:
  mail_server::
    do something

  mail_client::
    do something

  home_server::
    do something

>the script doesn't perform the last entry for home_server on samba,
>because the host samba already belongs to the class mail_client and a
>action for this host is already performed. Isn't there a possibility
>to test for all classes if the hosts belongs to it or not?

>Dirk

--------------------------

Mark Burgess (author of cfengine) replies:

Hei. I think you have misunderstood. Cfengine will perform all the
actions for defined classes. If it is not doing so, I would guess that
there is some kind of misunderstanding going on. You could try to follow
the voluminous output from the -d2 flag which gives debugging info,
or -v for verbose to see whether all the classes you think are defined
really are.

Otherwise, I would definitely upgrade to 1.3.16 (Brian!) It has some
nice new features and a few bug fixes, which might just help...

good luck!

BTW: there are now two cfengine newsgroups whcih have finally started
working:

   gnu.cfengine.help
   gnu.cfengine.bug

best regards,
Mark

Since Debian is going through a code freeze for its next release, I
decided to leave the last version I had used without problem.  I
will release the latest version of cfengine in the next week or two.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )