Re: kerneld and pppd and /sbin/request-route

On Sat, 17 Nov 2096 16:03:16 EST "Adam Heath" (doogie@alpha.shianet.or
g) wrote:

> I have set kerneld to automatically run pppd through /sbin/request-route
> whenever I need the internet.  The only problem is that I still get a
> timeout(or I just need to re-request the connection) from the kernel.  I
> run FTP, then PPPD dials and connects, but FTP has timed-out.  I get the
> same problem with LYNX and NETSCAPE.

The fix is quite simple once you know it. Generally, connections start with a bind request (ie resolving the address). Just list you name server more than once in /etc/resolv.conf (two or three time will do the trick).
This way, the resolver will try all the servers in turn if they fail, and you'll get what you want. I think I've read somewhere there's a limitation of three servers (ie the fourth and after `nameserver' lines in resolv.conf won't be used whatever happpens).

Phil.