Re: DSelect Suggestions...

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Rick Macdonald wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Fabien Ninoles wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Ami Ganguli wrote:
> >
> > > My suggestion is to come up with a few standard machine roles
> > > like "network server", "Novell client", "development machine", etc.
>
> > Why not make some "Standard packages" with lots of basics dependencies,
> > something like
> >
> > Package: Remote Access Server Machine
> > Depends: pppd, slipd, suck, ...
>
> Brilliant!
> But, would dselect whine lots if you went and tried to removed suck,
> for example?
>
> ...RickM...

Not really complicated... just uninstalled the virtual package. Or replace
the depends by suggest or recommends (if dselect can be less preocupped (?
- sorry, I don't know if it's the good word in English :-/ ) by this
priority). I think the second idea are good too... But the fact it's
making a 'virtual package' is an easy thing (just need a DEBIAN repertory
with a simple control file and running dpkg-deb --build on it :).

Maybe dselect can have an option such 'make a virtual package from my
currently installation' and let you edit, add and change the
configuration. This can be done on another program but I think that the
interface of dselect are just well suite for this purpose.

Just another 2 pennies (for adding value on the Debian distribution :)

ciao and thanks to read me.

 "" -- M.Marceau