Re: Linux and SoundBlaster

To make your soundblaster card work, you must compile your
kernel with sound support.  You need to know your base address
(e.g. 220), your low and high DMA channels (e.g. 1,5), your
IRQ (e.g. 7), and possibly your MIDI channel (e.g. 330).

Run the config program of your choice:  Either use the debian
package files (I don't do this), or do a 'make config' in
/usr/src/linux and answer yes for sound support.  Answer all
the questions and compile a kernel image.  Hopefully your
sound card will work.  For just playing CD's, you don't necessarily
need to do all this if your CDROM is already recognized.  In
that case, the program 'workbone' will play CD's for you.  One
problem may be the default volume level of your sound card.  I
recommend that you do compile a kernel for your card, and then
get some kind of sound mixer program to allow you to adjust the
various settings.

Hope this helps a bit.  Syrus.

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.