RE: Keyboard with X

Alexandre Lebrun <lebrun@Pool.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE> wrote:

>I tried LyX and sometimes run Netscape, and they show the same problem :
>when trying to erase a character with backspace, the current character is
>erased instead of the preceding. ( just as DEL does in a Microsoft
>environment). It's very disturbing, and other apps don't have this
>problem (they treat both DEL and Backspace as 'backspace' ).
>
>Is there a cure ?

I cured this for all my apps by running the following in .xinitrc

  xmodmap -e "Keysym Delete = Backspace"

This is off the top of my head (if only we had a real OS in the office
:-( ), so you may have to check out the man page for xmodmap. If it
doesn't work first time, trying swapping the words 'Delete' and
'Backspace'.

Casper Boden-Cummins,
bodec@sherwood.co.uk.