Re: netscape and debian

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

> There recently has been a flurry of messages on netscape
> problems with debian.  Much of it was contradictory.
> Becoming concerned, I tried installing netscape 3.0 and
> 3.01b1 with libc5 5.2.18 and received "Bus error" when
> trying to run.  This was with both a hand installation and
> the debian package in contrib.

It is a problem with libc, checkout
  http://members.ping.at/theofilu/netscape.html

Neal

>From miss
Date:	Mon, 28 Oct 96 20:46:56 GMT
From:	oz@fishtech.u-net.com (Brian Skreeg Brian Skreeg)
To:	debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Xirc compile prob.

	Hi dear deblistpeeps,

	My never ending search for a usuable X irc client continues.....
Under the spotlight this week is Xirc, but as usual, nothing works straight
away. I'm having problems compiling this proggie. The docs clearly state
that libc5.4.7 is used and Xforms.081 minimum as well. I installed
libc5.4.7 binaries from sunsite (why is the debian one only at 5.2.18?) and
installed xforms0.81-3 via the excellent dpkg-ftp thingy.

	Compile error follows;

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xirc/src/dcc'
g++  -g -DDEBUG -I.. -O2 -Wall  -c get.C -o get.o
In file included from get.C:8:
../xirc.H:8: forms.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ../xirc.H:54,

I was getting string.h and iostream.h errors but fixed this by installing
the g++ libs, it appears to be a c++ prog. duh! :) But the forms.h error
refuses to budge. The Xirc docs state that if this error appears then
installing the latest xforms0.81 lib cures it. But I've done this and it
still persists, unless it isn't installed properly. (xforms-dev is
installed too).

Kernel 2.0.0 btw.

	Has anyone successfully compiled this beastie? Anyone seen this error
or could anyone possibly mail me the compiled binary? Also, if anyone knows
of a decent X irc client then could they let me know. After searching about
the only ones I'ce found are ircii/BitchX, disgusting clients, and Zircon
which tries quite hard but is far to quirky and like chucking too many
windows about to be likable. Something similar to mirc or Amiga's Grapevine
wouldn't go amiss methinks.

Hoping for some help,

Ozzy,

   __ _ _
  /  \ \ \
 / / / / / |-Brian Skreeg--------IRC:_Ozzy-|
 \__/  \ \ |-Lead guitarist extraordinaire-|
    \__/_/ |-I don't look like two zombies-|