Newbie Debian Questions

First of all - Please don't respond to the list unless you think my
questions are of general importance...I'd hate to waste the bandwidth.

I am new to Linux (I used to have Slackware and it caused me no end of
troubles, but that was probably my lack of understanding and the fact that
I have no CD-ROM drive on my PC & had to get all the files I wanted from
FTP!)  For a reference point I have a 386DX/40 with 4 MB of RAM and a 100
MB Hard Drive.

I work and program (still just beginning at this...Haven't graduated yet)
Windows and mostly Macintosh PowerMacs (this is what I use at home and how
I download the Debian stuff).

1)  Does anyone know if an Axel ISA 8/16 bit Combination Ethernet card is
any good?
It is supposedly NE2000 compliant...  It supposedly free w/ any purchase
Datacom Mall mail-order.
I want to get an Ethernet connection between my Mac and the Linux box.  I
hope to get a second IP address from my dial in ISP (Earthlink) so that
either the Mac or the Linux box can act as a Router w/software daemon?  and
allow both machines net access over the same modem...Is this possible?
Does anyone think this card will work with Debian?

2)  Is there anyway to get the nice coloring of files in the ls commands'
output the way slackware does?