latex_2e-7.deb almost ate my disk

I ran into some trials and tribulations when I tried to install the
latex_2e-7.deb package... it almost used up all the space on my hard
drive.  Here's a copy of my installation notes that describe the problem:

Running 'dpkg -i latex_2e-7.deb' produced the following error:

    Unpacking latex (from latex_2e-7.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of latex:
    latex depends on mflib (>= 1.0-8); however:
    Version of mflib on system is 1.0-5.

So...

  - installed newer version of mflib and mfbin and tried again...
  - it's taking a **long** time on the "Rebuilding Latex' format ..."
    section.
  - I had to kill the programs spawned by these processes as my disk
    space was being eaten up.  After a little investigation, I discovered
    that it created a *huge* error file in directory /usr/lib/texmf/ini
    called latex.log that was  225775616 bytes in size!!!  As I only had
    about 2% disk space left on my 1 gig drive, I didn't want to try
    looking at the file using less or more in case these files would try
    to create a large temporary file that would exhaust my disk space,
    so I examined the head and tail of the latex.log file with the
    following results:

--------------------   output of head command ------------------

# head -n 20 latex.log
This is TeX, Version 3.1415 (C version 6.1) (INITEX)  12 OCT 1996 13:14
**latex.initex
(latex.initex (/usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/base/latex.ltx
(/usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/config/texsys.cfg)
./texsys.aux found

***
\@currdir set to: ./.
***
***
Assuming \openin and \input
have the same search path.
***

***
Defining UNIX/DOS style filename parser.
***
catcodes, registers,
\maxdimen=\dimen10
\hideskip=\skip10

-----------------end of output of head command ------------------

---------------- output of tail command -----------------------

# tail -n 20 latex.log
R to run without stopping, Q to run quietly,
I to insert something, E to edit your file,
1 or ... or 9 to ignore the next 1 to 9 tokens of input,
H for help, X to quit.
? y
Type <return> to proceed, S to scroll future error messages,
R to run without stopping, Q to run quietly,
I to insert something, E to edit your file,
1 or ... or 9 to ignore the next 1 to 9 tokens of input,
H for help, X to quit.
? y
Type <return> to proceed, S to scroll future error messages,
R to run without stopping, Q to run quietly,
I to insert something, E to edit your file,
1 or ... or 9 to ignore the next 1 to 9 tokens of input,
H for help, X to quit.
? y
Type <return> to proceed, S to scroll future error messages,
R to run without stopping, Q to run quietly,
I to insert somethin

---------- end of output of tail command -----------------------

So, it looks like there was a repeating error that the yes utility
was triggering over and over again.  Good thing that I killed the
programs spawned by the installation program or I would have filled
up my disk.

So, I tried to purge the latex package with the following results:

# dpkg --purge latex
(Reading database ... 33252 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing latex ...
Removing latex format(s) using install-fmt-base(8)
Removed latex format/base and related files
dpkg - warning: while removing latex, directory /etc/texmf' not empty so
not removed.
Purging configuration files for latex ...

Note that this did remove the offending *huge* latex.log file.

Something appears to be amiss with the installation procedure for this
package, or perhaps I inadvertently screwed something up.  I'd appreciate
some advice on where to go from here, as I really would like to get this
package installed.

Thanks in advance,

                                      Nick