Re: Need help with NIS: close, but it don't work yet

Bruce Perens wrote:

> Don't you have to put entries starting with "+" characters at the end of your
> hosts, passwd, group, etc., files before NIS will be used to look stuff up?
> Just guessing...

Thanks for the reply, Bruce. Buried deep in my verbose post was this
line:

>>> I have "+::::::" in /etc/passwd and "+:::" in /etc/group.

The NIS HowTo says it isn't needed anymore, but the deb pacakge
installation puts it in. Anyway, It doesn't seem to make a difference.
I haven't ever seen mention of such an entry for the "hosts" file
though.

You wouldn't remember, but when I first installed Debian at the
beginning
of this year I used to get various RCP or clnt_rcp or some such errors
coming out of nowhere. You and others (correctly) pointed out that I
needed
to remove the "+" entries in my passwd and group files. They were still
there
from when I had played with NIS last year. I had copied parts of my old
passwd file to Debian!

I hope somebody comes through with some ideas. I've spent hours at it
and can't find anything else to tweek.  :-(

--
...RickM...