ppp

The web site archives seem to have disappeared - probably being
digested. So this may have been answered.

I just installed Debian 1.1.4 on a new hard drive and can't get
ppp going. I have kernel support and asked that the module be
loaded as well. I am missing something simple.

I have built these files as before:
	/etc/hosts
	/etc/resolv.conf
	/etc/ppp/options
	/etc/ppp/ppp-connect
	/etc/ppp/pap-secrets

The symptoms are:
	invoke 'pppd' from the command line
	it then silently fails

It does not seem to start the modem. I checked the modem with
minicom which can access it and dial it just fine.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Richard