over 8 characters in passwords

From: Buddha Buck <bmbuck@not-a-real-site.acsu.buffalo.edu>
> >   my root password is ... say "toto". when i try to login
> >   with password "totoxxx", it works. The xdm login
> >   only compares characters from the begining, to the end of
> >   the password. is it normal ???
>
> It shouldn't be that way for your root password as "toto", but let's
> say your root password was "wizardoz".  Then "wizardos_is_a_fraud"
> would work, because anything past 8 letters is ignored.

Yes, but the FTP server and the login program act _differently_ on
passwords over 8 characters long, such that one breaks and the other
doesn't. This is from my experience in logging into "master", and
I finally had to have Simon reset my password as if I was some sort of
newbie :-) . I forget which one breaks.

We need to make all programs that ask for passwords consistent in how
they behave when given more than 8 characters.

	Thanks

	Bruce