Two system admin suggestions, where to post them?

Hello,

Here are a couple of features I miss from IRIX, I suspect that I've
allready posted the first but never got a response:

1. Instead of having to edit scripts under /etc/init.d to change lines
like:

run_diald=1

and suchlike, I'd rather like to have a command to turn features off
and on, like IRIX' chkconfig(8).  The idea is that the init scripts
use this command to check simple text files that contain "off" or "on"
for each feature and act accordingly.

e.g. you can have a file named /etc/config.d/x11 saying "on" and a file
named /etc/config.d/nfs saying "off".  The corresponding scripts
under /etc/init.d will have lines like:

if [ chkconfig x11 ]; do ...

There is allready such a utility for Linux writen by a friend of mine,
and it should be extremly easy to implement it in Perl as well.

2. I also miss the "autologin" feature from IRIX.  This feature
(enabled by "autologin on", btw) tells whichever scripts that starts
X11 to start, right after boot only, as if a certain named user (name
given in the /etc/autologin file) has logged in through XDM.  When the
user logs out then XDM comes into action and puts the standard "login"
screen.  This way you can let your computer login to your account
automatically after boot, which is what most Linux users do on their
homes machines, isn't it?

Well, what do you think?  I'm willing to implement both if I get an
appruval from the decision maker among the Debian community.

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                    | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.          |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                  |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL            amos@dsi.co.il  |                     -- Anonymous