Re: 386 Dx-40

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

[snip]

> It has 8mb RAM, and runs pretty well. I wouldn't recommend compiling
> a 2.0.x kernel on it, though. With 1.2.13 and early 1.3.x kernels
> you could compile the whole kernel in 60-90 minutes on a 386-40/8,
> but with 2.0.x you can't even get through the dependencies in 60.
> So I would recommend compiling the kernels on another machine
> (I compile mine on my own workstation, an AMD 5x86-133, 32mb RAM).

> hamish

I, too, have a 386/40 and a P133.  Compiling 2.0.x takes me 10 minutes on
the P133 and 3 hours 30 on the 386.  What problems would there be in
an NFS mount of the 386 /usr to the newer machine and doing a sort
of cross compile?   Are all the links relative?  What about System.map and
psdatabase?

I do have one problem exclusive to the 386, which has 8 Mb ram.  If I
zless /debian/rex/Contents.gz
and then search for ryry I get steadily increasing disk activity, the
swap file grows to 9 Mb and I never get to the end.  Can anyone reproduce
this behaviour?

Lindsay